Terms & Conditions
The Young Entrepreneurs Scholarship (the “Scholarship”) is designed to encourage students from around the world, who are eligible based on Brookes Westshore admissions requirements, to enter for the opportunity to win a place in an exclusive entrepreneurship program, only offered at Brookes Westshore, plus a monetary scholarship award, at Brookes Westshore in Victoria, British Columbia for the 2022-2023 school year.
Brookes Westshore will award 1 Grand prize, 1 Finalist Prize and 1 Semi-Finalist Prize.
Prizes will be awarded in accordance with these Official Rules (the “Terms & Conditions”).
Students are required to submit:
Video answering “What do you think is the role of social entrepreneurism in making a better world today? Do you have the qualities to be a successful social entrepreneur? Tell us what they are and how you would apply them to unlock your potential.”
We ask students to show us your creativity, connectivity and your character in line with the Brookes Westshore pillars.
Videos should be no shorter than a minute and no longer than 3 minutes
Videos must be uploaded to a safe and secure video sharing platform of choice. Please submit the link (with access rights) to email@example.com.
The Video must meet the following criteria (“Video Requirements”), all to be determined in the sole discretion of the Sponsor:
- It must not be derogatory, offensive, threatening, defamatory, disparaging, libelous or contain any content that is inappropriate, indecent, sexual, profane, tortuous, slanderous, discriminatory in any way, or that promotes hatred or harm against any group or person, or otherwise does not comply with the theme and spirit of the Contest.
- It must not contain content, material or any element that is unlawful, or otherwise in violation of or contrary to all applicable federal, provincial, territorial, state or local laws and regulations including the laws or regulations in any province or territory or state where the Video is created.
- It must not contain any content, material or element that displays any advertising, slogan, logo, and trademark or otherwise indicates a sponsorship or endorsement by any commercial entity (other than Sponsor) or that is not within the spirit of the Contest. Any clothing worn in the video should not contain any visible logos, trademarks, cartoons, phrases, or third-party materials. Entrants may wear clothing with the Sponsor’s name and/or trademarks.
- It must be original, unpublished work that does not contain, incorporate or otherwise use any content, music, material or element that is owned by a third party or entity or that has been submitted as part of another promotion or contest.
- It cannot contain any content, element, or material that violates a third party’s publicity, privacy or intellectual property rights.
- It must not have been previously submitted for any other promotion or contest, and must not be subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim.
During the Contest Period, the Sponsor, its agents and/or the Jury will be evaluating the Videos to ensure that they meet the Video Requirements. The Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant who submits a video that does not meet the Video Requirements. Incomplete entries or entries not complying with these Rules are subject to disqualification.
The following prizes are available to be won:
Consisting of scholarship entrance to the Young Entrepreneurship Program and 5,000 CAD tuition scholarship to Brookes Westshore.
Consisting of scholarship entrance to the Young Entrepreneurship Program and 3,000 CAD tuition scholarship to Brookes Westshore.
Consisting of scholarship entrance to the Young Entrepreneurship Program and 2,000 CAD tuition scholarship to Brookes Westshore.
The Brookes Westshore school year is from September 6, 2022 to June 16, 2023. No transfer, substitution or cash equivalent for prizes is allowed, except at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
In the event that appropriate entrants (as determined solely by Brookes Westshore) are not forthcoming, Brookes Westshore reserves the right to withdraw any and/or all prizes from a region/regions.
Brookes Westshore reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify, amend or cancel the scholarships and/or any of the terms and conditions herein, at any time, without notice. Brookes Westshore reserves the right to award scholarships based on internal criteria. If student submissions do not meet the School’s internal criteria, Brookes Westshore reserves the right to withhold scholarships.
AGREEMENT: To enter the Scholarship, you must agree to the Terms & Conditions. Therefore, please read these Terms & Conditions prior to entry to ensure you understand them. You agree that submission of an entry in the Scholarship constitutes agreement to these Terms and Conditions. You may not submit an entry to the Scholarship and are not eligible to receive the prizes described in these Terms & Conditions unless you agree to these Terms and Conditions. These Terms and Conditions form a binding legal agreement between you and Brookes Westshore with respect to the Scholarship.
ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to enter the Scholarship, an entrant must:
(a) hold a passport other than a Canadian citizenship or a permanent Canadian legal resident (excluding Quebec);
(b) be entering a grade either 10 or 11 in September 2022;
(c) be at least 15 years old at the time of entering the contest;
d) be younger than 17 years old at the conclusion of the 2022-2023 school year
and (e) have obtained a parent’s or legal guardian’s prior permission.
Minors who enter must have the written consent of a parent or legal guardian in order to be eligible to receive any prizes. This must be submitted with the video submission in Stage 1.
SPONSOR: The Scholarship is sponsored by Brookes Westshore (also referred to as the “Sponsor”), an independent boarding and day school located at 1939 Sooke Rd, Victoria, BC V9B 1W2.
CONTENT PERIOD: The Scholarship begins on February 28, 2022, 12:00 am Pacific Time (PT) and ends on June 6, 2022, 11:59 pm Pacific Time (PT) (“Contest Period”).
There are four phases to the Contest.
In the first phase, Entrants must submit a video entry between February 28, 2022 at 12:00 am Pacific Time (PT) and April 30, 2022 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time (PT) (the “Entry Period”) in accordance with these Terms and Conditions (see Video Requirements). Entrants must also submit, at the same time as their video submission, their first name, last name, email address, telephone number, and agency name and contact (if applicable) along with their passport photo page and two years of transcripts. All relevant documents as outlined in the Admissions Document Checklist (see Admissions Requirements).
In the second phase, a selection of eligible Entrants will be determined based on the Brookes Westshore internal criteria set by employee(s) at Brookes Westshore and/or guest judges (collectively the “Jury”). The Jury will select Semi-Finalists from the pool of eligible Entrants.
In the third phase, the Semi-Finalists will be interviewed, and potential Grand Prize winners will be selected. Interviews will be conducted online, via internet video conferencing.
In the fourth phase, the Jury will narrow the Semi-Finalists down to the Finalists based Criteria set at the discretion of Brookes Westshore.
In the fifth phase, the Grand Prize winners and Finalists will be announced.
HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Scholarship, visit the Scholarship website located at https://westshore.brookes.org/young-entrepreneurs-scholarship/ (“Scholarship Site”) during the Entry Period and follow the instructions that appear on the web-based entry form (“Entry Form”) for:
- submitting the video essay that meets the video Requirements (see Video Requirements) (the “Video”);
- submit all personal information requested and outlined in the Admissions Requirements; and
- submitting transcripts from the last two years of school and a photocopy of the front page of the student’s passport (non-Canadian).
To submit an entry, please follow the instructions on the Scholarship Site. Please note that this is the only form of entry to the Scholarship available. Brookes Westshore is not responsible for illegible or incorrectly submitted entries.
Entries received without completed information will be disqualified.
LIMIT ONE (1) ENTRY PER ENTRANT. Subsequent entries will be disqualified. To be considered for the Scholarship, entries must be: (i) complete (as determined by Brookes Westshore); (ii) received by April 30, 2022, at 11:59 pm Pacific Time (PT); and (iii) in English.
Any submission not meeting the aforementioned criteria will be disqualified. Brookes Westshore accepts no responsibility for submissions lost, delayed, damaged, defaced, or mislaid, howsoever caused. All entries will be deemed made by the Entrant submitted at the time of entry.
LIMIT ONE (1) VIDEO AND APPLICATION PER STUDENT. Subsequent videos and applications will be disqualified. To be considered for the prizes, the Video and Application must be: (i) complete (as determined by Brookes Westshore); (ii) received by April 30, 2022 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time (PT); and (iii) in English.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Brookes Westshore reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify, amend or cancel the scholarships and/or any of the terms and conditions herein, at any time, without notice.
To be eligible for the Scholarship, the following criteria must be followed:
The candidate must possess at least two of the following three attributes:
- Has exceptional high academic grades.
- Has demonstrated outstanding community, business or entrepreneurial leadership.
iii. Has financial need
An Entrant must:
- Not commit or be convicted of an indictable offense under the Criminal Code of Canada, Narcotic Control Act or comparable offense under other law, and pass all courses.
- Grades or marks obtained in supplementary or repeated examinations in the same academic year (including summer sessions) will be considered in extenuating circumstances, as defined by the school. If an awardee fails a course, the awardee must continue to meet the requirements of the school. Except due to serious illness, accident or death in the immediate family (supporting medical documentation may be required), he/she will forfeit the Scholarship. Awardees who fail to drop a course or courses before the deadline outlined by their school will be responsible for any remaining tuition and penalty fees after such a deadline.
- All Entrants must inform themselves as to the tax consequences of receiving the award. Brookes and its family of agencies and organizations and any officials participating in the program are not responsible for any personal tax liability or other liabilities whatsoever arising due to the receipt of the scholarship.
- All Entrants will be required to sign a Declaration and Release which will entitle the school to use the awardee’s name, city, country and province of residence, and photograph, without further compensation, for any publicity carried out by Brookes with respect to the scholarship, and to indemnify and hold harmless Brookes and its family of agencies and organizations and any officials participating in the program from any liabilities or damages which may arise due to the awardee participation in the awards program.
- All Entrant will be required to sign a confidentiality form stating that they will not discuss the amount of the award and that such discussion may result in the cancellation of the award and the requirement by the family to pay the award back to the school or face withdrawal from the school.
- The scholarship awarded may be withdrawn by the school if the student fails to obtain sufficient grades to pass a year, commits or is convicted of an offense that violates the school code of conduct or is otherwise detrimental to the Brookes community and school.
- Each Entrant is asked to sign a pledge committing to give back in the future to help another student attend Brookes.
All students must comply with admissions requirements of Brookes Westshore.
Upon video submission, students must provide the following information to qualify for the Scholarship:
- First name, Last name
- Intended Grade of Entry
- Email Address
- Telephone Number
- Agency Name & Contact (if applicable)
- Transcripts from the last two years of school
- A photocopy of the front page of the student’s passport (non-Canadian)
Students who qualify for Admissions interviews, will be required to provide additional documentation, including:
- Two reference forms from a current teacher
- A recent passport sized photo of the student
- A copy of the students vaccination records
- English proficiency test (online)
PUBLICITY: By entering the Scholarship, Entrants agree to participate in any media or promotional activity resulting from the Scholarship as reasonably requested by Brookes Westshore and agree and consent to use of their name and/or likeness by Brookes Westshore. Brookes Westshore will contact Entrants in advance of any Brookes Westshore sponsored media request for interviews.
REFUND POLICY: Brookes Westshore will not request any form of payment during the scholarship process. Following the offer of scholarship to students, and the request for tuition payment, students will then adhere to the Brookes Westshore standard refund policy.
RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY: If for any reason the Scholarship is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, government orders related to the COVID-19 pandemic, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Scholarship, Brookes Westshore reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Scholarship. Brookes Westshore further reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Scholarship or Scholarship Site. Any attempt by an Entrant to deliberately damage any web site, including the Scholarship Site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Scholarship is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Brookes Westshore reserves the right to seek damages from any such Entrant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, provincial, territorial, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Brookes Westshore reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant from the Scholarship if it reasonably believes that the Entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Scholarship by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants, Brookes Westshore, or the Jury.